Re: Fair housing laws
From: Elizabeth Magill (pastorlizverizon.net)
Date: Mon, 2 Jul 2007 15:50:15 -0700 (PDT)
Federally it is illegal to discriminate based on religion, but quite legal to discriminate based on sexual orientation. There are (a few) states and (a few) local areas that prohibit discrimination based on sexual orientation.

The federally protected classes include:
Race, color, national origin, religion, sex, familial status, and handicap (disability).

Housing of any sort can not be advertised, sold, rented, leased, nor mortgage or other financing services offered that discriminates based on these items.

Localities can add protected classes, but cannot remove any of them.

Individuals who own two or one property and don't sell often (more than 18 months must pass between transactions, I believe) theoretically can discriminate, but they can't use a real estate professional or place ads that discriminate.

I don't know of any co-housing communities that have had any problems, although I certainly flinch when I hear discussions of having quotas as a way to achieve diversity. In my (limited) experience the only way a seller will have a problem is if someone feels discriminated against and choses to take action.

-Liz
(The Rev.) Elizabeth M. Magill
PastorLiz [at] verizon.net
508-450-0431