Re: Fair housing laws
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2007 07:58:54 -0700 (PDT)

On Jul 3, 2007, at 10:40 AM, Stuart Joseph wrote:

I do wonder how the NYC condos/Co-op boards get to pick and choose who
buys into their organization.

One reason why many buildings in Manhattan choose to be coops rather than condos is that they can be pickier and do not have to give reasons why they turn you down. A cooperative can choose with whom it wants to cooperate.

There are also multiple buyers for every apartment in Manhattan. The owners and the board have to choose someone so there are always rejects. The best way to prove discrimination is to have written evidence (rare) or demonstrate a pattern of behavior. This is hard to prove a pattern of behavior when so many people are rejected. It would take a concerted effort over a long period of time.

GL groups in Manhattan have filed and I think won suits on the upper Eastside on Sutton Place where coops are VERY expensive, as in the millions and millions, and very exclusive.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines
Coauthor with John Buck of We the People
Consenting to a Deeper Democracy
A Guide to Sociocratic Principles and Methods
ISBN: 9780979282706
http://www.sociocracy.info