more questions about affordable cohousing
From: Diane DePuydt (dhdepuydtgmail.com)
Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2007 08:47:12 -0700 (PDT)
        The concern I have about cohousing that subsidizes a set a number of
units to make them "affordable" is the possibility of, however
unintentionally, creating a potentially divisive situation.
        From my admittedly casual research, it seems that these units are
often smaller and/or more basic than most other units in the project thereby
setting these members somewhat apart from others.
        I also wonder about management decisions when a small number of
residents have financial constraints on increases in the operating budget.
Does consensus still operate? Does the community forgo certain improvements
or amenities? Do the subsidies include maintenance fees and continue over
time? Do these members feel that they are equal members of the community?

Perhaps these concerns have been addressed in a posting that I missed. I
would like to hear about the experiences of residents living in subsidized
units.

Diane DePuydt
Gainesville Cohousing Working Group