Choosing Board Members
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Fri, 6 Jul 2007 14:05:31 -0700 (PDT)
I haven't seen a recent discussion of how communities choose board members. We will be discussing this at an upcoming membership meeting and I'm interested to hear how people do it and how satisfied they are with both the process and the results.

We use a fairly standard nominating committee process. I personally don't think it suits a consensus community and tends to produce board members no one complained about in private sessions with the nominating committee rather than choices based on other qualifications. In my opinion, it becomes a popularity contest. We've had productive and unproductive boards using this process so it doesn't necessarily produce bad results.

What are other communities doing? And how is it working?

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing