Re: Choosing Board members
From: Lynn Nadeau (welcomeolympus.net)
Date: Sat, 7 Jul 2007 12:10:03 -0700 (PDT)
At RoseWind Cohousing (long built and running, Washington State mutual benefit nonprofit - not 501c3) the Board is defined as all owner members. What we DO select is a Steering Committee of 5, with overlapping two year terms, changing 2 or 3 each year. They meet twice a month and make sure nothing important is falling through the cracks, decide what needs discussion circles or more seasoning before getting to the monthly meeting agenda (which Facilitation actually arranges) and otherwise acts at the direction of the membership, except for some very limited powers to spend small amounts of money for unforeseen contingencies of certain sorts. A nominating committee usually surveys the members to find out who is willing to serve, and who people would like to have serve. Of those who are eligible (not including spouses/partners at the same term), sometimes we have voted, but in recent years there have rarely been more eligible than spots to fill. Or the nominating committee sorted things into a recommended slate (ie Sue will serve unless George is on it, George will only serve if Sue is on it....) which we affirm at our annual meeting. It's worked fine.
Lynn Nadeau, Port Townsend WA
www.rosewind.org
one house for sale, one for rent