Re: Long-Term Sustainability / on having children
From: Racheli Gai (rachelisonoracohousing.com)
Date: Sat, 7 Jul 2007 13:58:53 -0700 (PDT)
Hi Sheryl,
I have two kids, so my family's contribution to growth is zero. (Because
my partner and I only replace ourselves).

It doesn't make sense to me to say that people shouldn't have any children, in the same way that it doesn't make sense to me to say that people should have children. IMO people who are really thoughtful and motivated to put
a lot of their time and energy into child- rearing are the ones who are
more likely to do a good job.
We started by having one child, and a number of years later decided that
we seem to enjoy having kids, and are fairly good at it (to the extent that
one can judge regarding oneself...)  So, we ended up having another
one, and never planned having any more biological offspring.
I made raising my kids my first priority.  They were unschooled, which
means that much of my time and energy was spent on being with them,
interacting with them, facilitating their pursuit of their interests, and so on.

We also had a chance to model thoughtfulness in regards to environmental
issues, something which hopefully will affect how they think and behave
in the world.

Racheli
Sonora Cohousing, Tucson.