Re: [C-L] Walking Lightly - buying used things
From: Rose M Brandt (rmbrandtjuno.com)
Date: Sun, 8 Jul 2007 17:22:46 -0700 (PDT)
Ruthpoet wrote:
Speaking of used items: I don't know how this equation works out is in
buying a "used" (i.e. already existing) house, vs. building a new, but
more
greenly-constructed house. Since there are so many already-built houses
on the
market, it makes sense to me on the one hand that it would be better to
buy one
of them, rather than using up materials to have a new one constructed. On
the
other hand, most existing houses are not as well insulated or set up for
solar,  etc.  Comments, anyone?

***

Many older city row houses are very well insulated. They have only two
walls exposed. Houses built 100 or so years ago were built of substantial
materials and keep out heat and cold quite well. Old houses do need to
have windows replaced, oil burners, etc.

Rose