Re: Long term sustainability
From: Brian Bartholomew (bbstat.ufl.edu)
Date: Sun, 8 Jul 2007 17:40:08 -0700 (PDT)
Racheli Gai <racheli [at] sonoracohousing.com> writes:

> this is a country which gets about 3 billion dollars a year from the
> US govt. (mostly earmarked for military purposes)

That military spending is most of $3 B/year that can't be spent on
food, shelter, and medicine.  Worse, it is spent blowing up, burning
down, and killing, so it destroys more in addition to the $3 B it
costs.  When you see a military budget, think of it as a carefully
planned attempt to create more Katrina refugees.

-----

> My impression is that there is much more cancer - including among
> children, and younger people because of growing pollution.

People used to die almost immediately from lousy medical care.  That's
why you didn't see any sick people, they all died quickly.  Now
people's health is supported better, and they have the luxury of being
sick for long periods.  I think the right measurement is average
lifespan, which is trending up in most places.

-----

> concerns regarding traditional appropriate knowledge which is
> disappearing in many places, as subsistence living gets destroyed to
> make room for corporate agriculture and industry.

Traditional appropriate knowledge produces subsistence living, which
is the starvation/disease/misery social justice problem we're trying
to solve...right?  If subsistence living is in decline, that's great!

                                                        Brian