Re: The fears of Malthus, et. al.
From: Sterling Newberry (sterling.newberrygmail.com)
Date: Sun, 8 Jul 2007 19:10:19 -0700 (PDT)
Dear John,
When you say that "The fears of Malthus, et al have already been realized
globally,  except for the prosperous few.", I'm curious what you are
referring to.  Malthus said that population would expand exponentially,
while food production would expand much more slowly, and that mass
starvation would ensue.  I think his predictions proved wrong.  In "the
Skeptical Environmentalist", Lomborg presents statistics that seem to me to
indicate that the world is getting better off, that less people are starving
or hungry today than were years ago, and that the current hunger situation,
while certainly not acceptable, is solvable.  Is this hunger situation what
you were referring to as having been realized?  What is the evidence that
tells you that Malthus was right, and who is the "et al" to whom you refer?
I would be interested in exchanging information with you. I'd offer
Lomborgs' book and the references he provides as one bit of information.
I'm curious what are yours?
Thanks,
Sterling