Having children
From: Saramandaia Farm (etaincryahoo.com)
Date: Sun, 8 Jul 2007 19:17:26 -0700 (PDT)
I have children...I gave birth to two and adopted one.  It's almost universal
among animals to reproduce, and humans aren't an exception.  It requires
over-riding a biological imperative to not reproduce, and it also requires
considerable technology for those of us who want a conjugal life that includes
sexual intercourse.  By considerable technology I mean contraception or
sterilization.  So drugs, latex, surgery...

Unrestrained fertility is another issue, and we in the "developed world"
usually exert ourselves to avoid it. I live in a "developing" country, and have
seen the birth rate fall precipitously with the availability to women of
contraceptives.  So education and access to reliable family planning, absent
ideas of conquest via high reproductive rates, would seem to be the answer to
what we generally understand as overpopulation.  The there's the argument that
overpopulation isn't the real problem...that maldistribution of resources is
the problem.  A bit disingenuous.

 Sustainability is a pretty explicit term...a definition randomly chosen by
me..."The ability to provide for the needs of the world's current population
without damaging the ability of future generations to provide for themselves."
If we have no children, there ARE no future generations, and sustainability is
moot...or by default becomes the ability of OTHER animals to provide..." etc.
There's also the "no people, no co-housing" truth.

I'm not sure what Sherry means by "more children".  More than what or whom?

Sharon

Be a PS3 game guru.