Re: Long term sustainability
From: Oliveau (Oliveauaol.com)
Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2007 08:30:37 -0700 (PDT)

Hey Racheli,
    Thanks for your comments.  I looked it up and  I stand corrected.  You
are right.  The number of people living in  poverty as hovered around 1.2
billion.  In 1987 it was 1.18 billion, in  1990's it was 1.3 billion, and it
has
recently declined to 1.2 billion.  So  in absolute numbers poverty has not
declined recently.
    But as a percentage we have made great  progress.  In the 1950's half of
the global population lived in  poverty.  Today it's down to a quarter.  All
this in the midst of a  continued population growth.  We've moved 3.4 billion
people out of  poverty.  That's an amazing result.
    I'm not saying we shouldn't continue to try and  help the poor.  We
should.  We should be investing in education for  the poor, which will benefit
our
global society tremendously.  We should be  thinking of new ways to help the
poor, like mico-lending.  The World Bank  and IMF are trying to help these
countries.  They may have mistaken ideas  which are outdated.  And they
controlled
by nations which have political  bais.  It's easy to criticize, but much
tough to come up with an  alternative which works.  Aiding the developing world
is
a hard  problem.
    And the countries which liberalized and invited in  those evil
multi-nationals back in the 1970's, like Taiwan, Korea, Singapore,  Thailand,
Malaysia
have much happier healthier and well educated people  today.  The ones which
talked about autonomy and the evils of global  capitalism have not.  As China
and India have "liberalized" their  economies, they have tapped into a huge
reserve of productive human capital  which as transformed them from starvation
prone areas to economic  miracles.
    Cancer death rates go up as people  age.  Up to age 25, cancer deaths are
4 in 100,000.  Every 10 years  after that the death rate triples until it's
400/100,000 at age 50.  By age  70 its 1,350/100,000.  If you adjust for age,
the death rate is flat in the  US, with a recent downward trend as people have
quit smoking.  If you  eliminate cancers attributable to smoking, the death
rate has been declining in  the US since 1950.
    We've gotten better at detecting cancers and  detecting them early (when
they can better be treated).  This results in a  slight increase of incidence
of cancer, but a decrease in the death rate from  cancer.
    I agree with you that income inequality has been  increasing.  It's not
that the poor are getting poorer, rather, the  difference between the richest
and the poorest person is getting larger.  I  don't like inequality, but if
that helps the most people the fastest, I'm  willing to live with a tamed form
of
Global Capitalism.  But capitalism  needs to be watched, regulated, and
controlled.  Otherwise we end up  living in a Charles Dickens novel :-)
    I do worry about the US and the decrease in  mobility between the rich
and the poor.  It's getting harder to move up in  US society.  That tells me
that we aren't creating enough opportunity for  the poor and we're making it
too
easy for untalented rich to stay rich.   Just look at our current President
for a primary example :-)
    I accept your points about Israel.  I  don't have your experience with
Israeli society.  I can  imagine Israel has paid a terrible price for the high
level of militarization  and the frequency of its wars with it's neighbors.
The tragedy of the  Middle East is that people who are insecure don't care
about
democracy, or human  rights, or equality, or even economic opportunity.  And
it's easy for a  small minority to create an unsafe climate for everyone else.

Thanks for your attention,
-Kevin

In a message dated 7/8/2007 9:38:27 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,