Re: Pre-Sold Units as Condition of Membership
From: John Beutler (jabeutlercomcast.net)
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2007 19:01:37 -0700 (PDT)
Don't sell your house until you have land locked up & zoned to suit your development. If you need cash, take a home equity loan against the house or something else.

You really can't get people to commit without a piece of land, as you say, what are they committing to ? I know land is expensive and hard to find in Chester County - I grew up in Kennett Square.....Cecil Co. will be cheaper, but it's a long ways to employment.

You will need to put down money to get a land contract. There will be risk involved - that's why developers can make big money - because they can risk losing a bunch as well. Don't bet more than you can afford to lose, though. One way or another your group will collectively have to pony up some serious money to move forward. It doesn't all have to be equal shares, though vast imbalances in investment can be a problem. At LV the initial minimum was $6K, but that was just for lot purchase, and it was 10 years ago. Some folks put in much more.

With the down housing market there may be opportunities to work with folks who otherwise wouldn't give you the time of day. All of the big mega-developers and mini-mansion builders are retrenching big time. Perhaps look at being one section of a larger development if you can stand the proximity to the other stuff....

Cheers

JAB