Location / Pre-Sold Resources
From: Ronald Frederick Greek (fred.greekyahoo.com)
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2007 06:21:01 -0700 (PDT)
If you select "rural" consider just how sustainable or ecological you can
actually be.

  How much damage does your new community do to remaining wilderness?

  How much have you increased your personal / family dependence on auto travel
and fossil fuels to reach any product or service provider you need?

  Kids in a pup tent in the back yard naively look at it as a "roughing it"
adventure.  How much different is an attempt to create an ecological &
sustainable human environment by destroying yet more of nature?

  There are those who can't (financial, medical, technical, etc.) initiate a
new self-reliant homestead in the wilderness, or couldn't remain at such even
if handed to them free.   I will argue that any further such impact on
remaining wilderness is contrary to any contemplation of ecological
sustainability.

  We need to use our knowledge, intelligence and skills to repair what we've
destroyed, and retrofit for long term sustainability, with reduced demands for
new resources and recycle rather than discard.  This includes homes,
neighborhoods, and entire cities.

  Consider, does your community really need to be such that the houses are
contiguous?  What about the concept of buying run-down homes in the same
general area - walking distance - with a "community" purchase of yet another
home/lot?

  Look up the "retrofit" aspect at the http://www.ic.org website.  They also
have information on the pre-sold concept.

cohousing-l-request [at] cohousing.org wrote:  What does "Pre-Sold" really mean
in a case like this, where we don't have land, architectural plans, or one of
those cute scale models with all the lots outlined in
yellow?

Ronald Frederick Greek
  Moderator (Electronic Janitor)
Sustainable Tucson

  "Stabilization of human numbers is no solution... To speak of an actual
reduction of human population - exactly what is needed if the world is to avoid
unprecedented human dieoff through famine, pestilence, and war - is unthinkable
and unspeakable, at least in polite company.  Not just Catholics and
conservatives, but liberals as awll become positively apoplectic if the subject
is broached.  And so the discussion necessary to understanding our econlogical
dilemma, and dealing effectively with it, never occurs."
  - Richard Heinberg, Power Down

photos & more.