Re: Thank you for your input!
From: Raines Cohen (rc3-coho-Lraines.com)
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2007 12:42:16 -0700 (PDT)

On Jul 17, 2007, at 12:14 PM, Kerry Strayton wrote:
When will we have a conference on the West Coast? There are lots of co-housing communities out here. The journey to Massachusetts is too costly for us, coming from Vancouver, Canada.

Kerry -

The national cohousing conference was on the West Coast in 2001, in Berkeley (I helped organize it), after being in Western MA (Amherst) in 1999. Since then, it's been in Boulder and North Carolina, and so after Amherst it might make sense for it to return to the Northwest, where it actually was in Seattle in 1999.

Note that the way US airfares work, longer flights in competitive markets (like Seattle-Boston) are often significantly less expensive than even short flights to less-travelled locations, rural spots. I've seen coast-to-coast flights for $99-199 nearly every summer, so long as you have some flexibility. You might even shop further down, look at taking the Cascades train down as far as Portland, and flights from there. Because we've picked a conference site convenient to transit, you may be able to do the trip without a car.

Your region is blessed with regular regional gatherings, of cohousing and other intentional communities, organized through the Northwest Intentional Communities Association (NICA)... I was just up there a couple of weeks ago for their summer gathering at GoodEnough Community. Have you participated in any of these? Perhaps you could help organize a regional gathering in Vancouver and invite nearby US communities to participate.

Raines Cohen, Cohousing Coach, at Berkeley Cohousing (cooking common dinner as I write)
Planning for Sustainable Communities
Where I helped facilitate a new group in the Seattle area last Sunday, practicing alongside a master, using ICA "Technology of Participation" techniques

Regional Organizer, East Bay Cohousing
Where we go to bat in front of the Oakland City Council tomorrow night, to help a new cohousing group get approval to build

Certified Senior Cohousing Facilitator
Gaining new understandings of "Aging In Community" from my neighbors, 6 months old and 77 years old