Re: HOA dues for children/teens at what age?
From: Raines Cohen (rc3-coho-Lraines.com)
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2007 19:15:16 -0700 (PDT)
In the communities I've lived in, as in most condos, HOA dues are primarily per unit, with a portion of fees per square foot, particularly fee elements that go towards utilities that correspond to unit size... i.e. natural gas and heat and water and hot water at Swan's Market Cohousing (Oakland, CA). At Berkeley Cohousing, a small portion of the dues covers our shared water usage, which is allocated based on the number of residents per unit. It may be worth analyzing the HOA budget to see which elements vary more with number of people than # of units/total unit size, and then for elements which vary based on the number of people, whether actual costs shift dramatically at a particular age... perhaps the thought is that teenagers take longer or more frequent showers than kids do. Have you gone back to the folks who drafted it and asked what factors led to setting the trigger age at 13?

Raines
currently at Pleasant Hill (CA) Cohousing, participating in Tree Bressen's facilitation intensive workshop series
-