Daybreak Cohousing Submits for Permit
From: Terri Huggett (terrihugmsn.com)
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2007 23:57:11 -0700 (PDT)

Daybreak Cohousing is excited to share another cohousing moment!  While the
'rest' of the world seems to think it's all just another minor milestone,
we're aching to revel with all of you that we've made another big step.

We submitted our design plans to the city of Portland for permits on June
19, 2007!!!!  Since we are not requesting changes to the zoning code or
variances, we had a simple review of our plans with the neighborhood
association in April and have no other requirements.  We anticipate a wait
of four to six months to receive the permits.

We're now making the big push to get our construction loan.  We have a
letter of interest from the bank that holds our property loan and we're
sending out RFPs to more banks.  In the meantime, we continue to work on our
membership, equity, and community building.

Almost half of the community is committed to-date.  Twelve units out of our
total of thirty.  Members are purchasing two of these to make available as
rental units.  We've raised almost $1 million dollars to-date.  Most of that
has gone to the property and pre-development expenses.  We estimate we have
roughly $500k to $1 million to go to meet bank requirements for our
construction loan.  We are shooting for the higher number.

Besides all the project frenzy, the community has participated in 2
visioning sessions and a consensus workshop as a whole.  4 community members
participated in a 3-day Dynamic Facilitation workshop this spring.  We held
our annual (2nd now) picnic with wacky games and celebrated 4 birthdays.
And we're going on a FUN community retreat to Lost Valley at the end of
September. And much more happens between all the team activities than can be
described.

We expect to begin construction in March 2008 and move-in by early-mid 2009.

Terri Huggett
Daybreak Cohousing
Portland, OR

'Where so many things are happening every hour, let alone every day, my mind
spins.  I can't wait to live together and slow down a little.'