Cohousing Communitites Coalesce Tour, Saturday, August 11th, 9am to 4pm
From: Ellen Bicheler (ellenbsonic.net)
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2007 12:28:41 -0700 (PDT)
Sonoma County California Tour

Tour: Cohousing Communities Coalesce!
Saturday, August 11th, 9am to 4pm, $35
Register at: www.daily-acts.org or call 707-789-9664

Rendezvous at 40 Oaks Cohousing Community for a delightful day of creative lifestyles and visions made real. 40 Oaks in rural Petaluma sets the standards for innovation. Resident, Claudia Cleaver, architect/designer of green and natural buildings, will tour us through the layers of sustainable design. As we meander a path connecting the clustered homes, we’ll be tempted by edible and fragrant landscaping and inspired by the surrounding habitat sustained by Permaculture practices. These houses are cutting edge, using straw bales, Rastra, natural plasters, concrete floors, recycled and reclaimed materials and more! We’ll see how it is possible to creatively rethink how we live and build our communities.

Satiated with beauty, style and functionality, we’ll head to Frog Song Cohousing of Cotati where residents will host us through a few homes and the lovely Permaculture food gardens. This downtown community is a creative design combining lovely home sites and storefront rental properties for communal income. Our potluck lunch will be in the common house, a feature shared by most cohousing communities where members can gather for dinners, events, meetings, classes and numerous other activities. We will ask questions, be exposed to consensus decision process and discuss the practical steps taken to begin a cohousing community, learning from those already doing it.

Last, but certainly not least, we’ll caravan to Yulupa Cohousing in Santa Rosa. This creative and beautiful endeavor represents Sonoma County’s most recently finished cohousing project. Yulupa Cohousing models a density of 29 homes on 1.65 acres, a viable alternative to endless “urban sprawl.” We’ll be hosted by Michael Black, architect and community resident. Michael and his partner, Alexandra Hart, are strong communal visionaries, skilled in facilitation, consensus-building, and conflict resolution techniques, all part of Yulupa’s decision-making process. This tour is an excellent opportunity to embrace concepts for a sustainable future.

Register at: www.daily-acts.org or call 707-789-9664