Re: Professional Development vs. Self-Development
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2007 13:39:24 -0700 (PDT)

On Jul 26, 2007, at 1:56 PM, Christine Johnson wrote:

Just my opinion:  our cohousing community was developed with a
professional developer, builder and project manager in place, all of
whom had prior experience in cohousing development. All the owners in
our community are bearing unanticipated costs because our builder and
the project manager, did not meet the contract's requirements.

We had similar problems but when you have a developer, the developer is responsible for correcting any problems.

Once you move in, it is important to have an engineering study done immediately. There are firms that do this and you can find one through the Community Associations Institute. That study will identify deficiencies that must be corrected. We are still finding some but major ones were identified and corrected.

The developer was responsible for insisting that the contractor or third parties correct any identified deficiencies. This was done without legal action although we did have the notification of deficiencies written by our lawyer.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing