Re: Contruction, Architects and Building Commissioning
From: mark harfenist (markharfenistbellcoho.com)
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2007 09:00:41 -0700 (PDT)
Speaking only for myself, not for my community:

I wish we'd done exactly as Sharon describes before paying off our contractor seven years ago. We had a mix of more and less inept site management and architect signoffs along with inspections by the two professional builders within our group (I was one, but with expertise in custom homebuilding in a very different area of the country). We failed to find or have corrected a great many issues. Like Sharon, we've found both design problems and construction mistakes (or deliberate failures to follow specifications and plans). Some of these issues have continued to haunt us, and some have been very expensive to correct. As well, the process of identifying and dealing with remnant construction issues continues to cause significant interpersonal stress within our long-completed community.

Again, these are my own opinions and should be understood as such.

Hope that helps.

Mark
(Bellingham Cohousing, WA)