Public access to sewer and water?
From: April (aroggionycap.rr.com)
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2007 19:37:35 -0700 (PDT)
Hi all -

I was wondering if some of you could speak to the trade-off between purchasing
land with access to public water and sewer, versus purchasing land that
requires its own wells and septic systems?  I know this might be hard to do, as
I assume the costs vary across states, but the argument I've been hearing is
that it is incredibly expensive to purchase raw land without access to either
service, and so the high cost of locating within distance to these community
services is "worth it".

I guess I just would like to know where the threshold is - there's got to be
numbers associated with these two things, such that a property can be so
inexpensive that it would outweigh the potential benefit of locating within
access to public water and sewer.  Anyway, I'm sure some of you must have
debated this before us, so I am hoping you might have some insight, despite the
fact that there are so few of us in New York State.

Thanks (for this and the numerous other helpful responses I've gotten over the
past half year)!
April

April Roggio
Capital District Eco-housing in Albany, NY
~ a sustainable cohousing community in the making! ~
www.cdecohousing.org
info [at] cdecohousing.org
Next business meeting is on August 12th, 1pm - email me for directions!