Reserve studies
From: Zeke Holland (zhollandblazenetme.net)
Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2007 10:25:42 -0700 (PDT)
At Two Echo Cohousing we have capital reserves for the common house, roads,
our engineered septic system and other equipment.  We have a spreadsheet
that factors in inflation rates, interest rates, tax rates and the expected
life of various component items.  That worked fine initially, when
everything was new and starting from zero.  But as items get replaced and
have different start-years, etc, I find that our spreadsheets are not
general enough.  And I don't trust my own ability to enhance them correctly
without a model to follow.  I'm wondering if any other communities have
spreadsheets for reserve accounts that work well, and if you would be
willing to share a sample (I don't care about the actual values, of course,
just the structure/formulas)...?  You can contact me directly at
zholland [at] blazenetme.net, and any input is appreciated.
Thanks,
--Zeke Holland (Treasurer, Two Echo Cohousing, Brunswick, ME)