Re: tax exempt status for HOAs
From: Evdavwes (Evdavwesaol.com)
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2007 05:25:03 -0700 (PDT)
Hello, All

I have been learning about HOA taxation from our accountant.  I am not  an
expert.  Feel free to correct any misimpressions I may give.

Supposedly, a HOA could decide to be taxed as a regular corporation (paying
tax on any excess of income over expenses, including any increase in
reserves).  This may correspond to the way it would be treated if it filed
form 1120
for the yearly return.  The tax on excess revenue (AKA  profit) is 15%.

Many HOA's decide to file form 1120H.  This allows them not  to pay tax on
excess revenue (there may be rules about the reserves being  accumulated for
certain uses only).  However, they pay 30% federal tax on  income from
investments.  Our accountant has advised us to elect 1120H  status, and to
invest only
in a municipal bond fund, which is  totally federal tax-exempt and is state tax
exempt to the extent that  income comes from our state (NC).  The muni bond
fund pays 3-5%  roughly.  However, it is not insured, and we are considering a
change to  regular CD's, which would be insured, but for which the effective
interest rate  would be reduced by the 30% tax.  We have ended up with only a
small tax  bill most years.

David Clements, _Westwood  Cohousing,_ (http://www.westwoodcohousing.com/)
Asheville, NC