Re: tax exempt status for HOAs
From: David L. Mandel (dlmandelpacbell.net)
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2007 00:59:08 -0700 (PDT)
Aha! Here was your original mistake, perhaps. "Mutual benefit corporation" sounds like federal IRC 501(c)(4), which actually wouldn't qualify you for federal HOA status (IRC 528 taxation). But incorporation is a state act, so if you file with IRS as an HOA, they could never know. But the state would, based on your incorporation, which is probably what needs to be changed. You need some better tax advice/representation, I'd say. Good luck.
David in Sacramento again.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Ken Lewis" <kenlewisjr [at] yahoo.com>