Re: Quantifying the value of community
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2007 05:49:24 -0700 (PDT)
On Sep 26, 2007, at 1:46 PM, cameron rabe wrote:

In the process of pricing units has anyone tried to
quantify the value of cohousing?

In our community, units sell very quickly at market price. The advantage is a waiting list of people ready to move in. One person took a few months to sell her unit but, in my opinion, there were complexities of personality and unreturned phone calls that delayed the sale. If she had used the same process that others have used, the very large unit would have sold in less than three months.

The smaller units sell essentially as soon as the seller decides who to sell to.

People do not pay above market price but you also have to consider that our units are smaller than comparable units because we have the commonhouse. They sell for the price of a two bedroom, but they are smaller than two bedrooms unless you consider the common areas. My "two bedroom" is 25 sq ft smaller than my previous 1 bedroom on a typical condo building.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing,Washington DC