Re: Guidelines for E-mail use
From: O3C11N6G (normangausscharter.net)
Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2007 09:48:35 -0700 (PDT)
California has enacted a "Free Speech" measure which says that censorship of communications in Common Interest Developments is illegal. This allows people to say whatever they want, so long as no coercion is exerted to get people to shut up or get them to say things differently. Recommendations can be made for etiquette, but no one can be forced to observe them.

In my community, it is often assumed that if a message is sent out by email, everyone will be informed. This is presumptuous. Many people routinely ignore all emails sent to our community-wide Yahoogroups listserv. Others automatically trash emails sent by people they do not want to hear from, including members of the Board. This is of course irresponsible.

We try to cover as many forms of communication as we can. This includes, email, posted notices on the front door of the common house, bulletin board notices, and paper copies placed in members' in-house mail boxes.

There are people here who would like to exert power over others by censoring what they say. I am thankful that the law says this is verboten.

Norm Gauss

----- Original Message ----- From: "Bryan Syverson" <Bryan [at] BrySy.net>