Re: Consensus Process
From: Carol Singleton (Quetzal4charter.net)
Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2007 09:08:29 -0700 (PDT)
In answer to Muriel's questions:

  1. Present an Idea

  . Informal discussion  <-- DOES THIS OCCUR AT A BUSINESS MEETING, AS A

PRELIMINARY FULL-GROUP DISCUSSION?  IF NOT, HOW DOES IT HAPPEN?

  . Community decision to pursue idea

An idea is presented at a business meeting so the originator can see if
there is enough community interest in the idea to pursue it as a full blown
proposal.  We are a 3 1/2 year old community (living here for 3 1/2 years)
and at first there were so many ideas and projects being worked on and
presented;  folks would spend a great deal of time putting together a
proposal only to have it "shredded" when it was presented;  Presenting an
idea is a way of testing the waters to see if there is energy/interest in
the community to pursue it.

2. Create a Draft Proposal

  . Task group meetings

  . Information presentations

  . Surveys

  . Discussion circles

  . Conflict Resolution

  . NVC  <-- WHAT IS THIS?

  . Brainstorm <-- IS THE FULL COMMUNITY INVITED TO DO THIS OR JUST THE

TASK GROUP?

NVC - this is Non-Violent Communication - "Effective Communication Skills
for Work, Family, Home and Community

Rosenberg's Nonviolent Communication process provides a simple, effective
method to get to the root of conflict, violence, and pain peacefully. By
going beyond "active listening" techniques and examining the unmet needs
behind what we say or do, NVC serves as a practical, transformative method
to address the root of conflict and violence once and for all. "  See:
http://www.nonviolentcommunication.com/aboutnvc/aboutnvc.htm

Many OCC community members have participated in 6-8 or so weeks of NVC
training and sessions led by professionals.  We now have a session at least
quarterly and members use NVC to deal with issues.  I personally have not
taken the training so perhaps others can pipe up here and explain better how
it works or you can look at their website.

Brainstorm:  Both the task group and the community can do the brainstorming;
it doesn't have to be either/or.  The community is always invited to one or
more discussion circles as the idea/project is being developed.  Sometimes
brainstorming occurs at the discussion circle; sometimes after the
discussion circle the task force brainstorms about ideas and concerns that
were brought up at the discussion circle.

I am signing off the co-housing list serve today as I am going to be on
vacation for three weeks, so if anyone has more questions, I won't be able
to answer them.  Perhaps others OCC folks on the list serve will.

Best regards,

Carol Singleton

Oak Creek Commons

Paso Robles, CA