Re: Managing the Common House
From: O3C11N6G (normangausscharter.net)
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2007 10:07:01 -0700 (PDT)
Maura:

This is the exact type of response I am seeking.

No emotionalism, no inferring more into my words than appears on the page, no references to inappropriate "tone" whatever that means.

This "tone" I have seen mentioned at times in the past has never been explained to me. Chastising me for inappropriate tone does nothing without explaining what is meant. I have stated before that I have Asperger's Syndrome. Because of that, I am incapable of reading between the lines and being able to detect the "tone" of my words. If cohousing is supposed to be tolerant of the various types of people in our world, then blaming me for inappropriate words reveals the fallacy of the very idea of cohousing.

In my view, tone is whatever the reader wants to make of it. Some people see the words exactly as written. Others infer all kinds of undertones based on their guesses on the supposed purpose behind the message and my emotional state at the time. If I say I am seeking information, then presupposing other motives is way off the track.

Norm Gauss

----- Original Message ----- From: "maura deering" <mauradeering [at] yahoo.com>