Re: Equitable Work Sharing
From: Larry Miller (larry.millercharter.net)
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2007 09:42:31 -0700 (PDT)
Is it the case that in mature communities there is less friction around the
issues of work
sharing? Are task more equitably shared or have people just given up on it?

Oak Creek Commons is 3 1/2 years old. There isn't a lot of friction about work
sharing, but some
people do more work than others. We have set up a Participation Program where
households each
pay $32 a month for participation dues and receive up to that amount in credit
for participating
in various activities. The program was set up in an effort to increase
participation in
community activities and to insure that the work got done.

We try to view this program as "guilt free." Everyone contributes to the
community upkeep,
either with money or through volunteer efforts. About 20% of the community does
not work and
another 20% put in far more than the number of hours requested. We are
currently discussing
revising the program to focus it more directly on "necessary" tasks, those we
would pay to have
done if there are not enough volunteers.

Larry Miller
Oak Creek Commons
Paso Robles, CA