Re: Green Retirement Communities
From: Tim Mensch (tim-coho-lbitgems.com)
Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2007 17:01:53 -0700 (PDT)
tom shea wrote:
Cohousing communities are usually located in very affluent neighborhoods and therefore are exclusively priced.
I think Oakland, CA may have the most cohousing communities in any one city in the US, and while they don't tend to be located in the least affluent neighborhoods (where Oakland's famous murder rate acts itself out...), neither are any in the most affluent neighborhoods, that I'm aware of (as you head up into the hills, the prices go up drastically).

I actually left the Bay Area because I couldn't find cohousing (or come up with numbers that made sense to START cohousing anywhere) in neighborhoods with good schools, which in the Bay Area means >$700k for a basic house with no yard to speak of, and >$1M for a reasonably nice place. So when you see a cohousing unit in Oakland for ~$300k, it may sound expensive, but it's actually a bargain--if you want to live in the Bay Area. I spent a lot of time growing up in and living in Oakland, so I'm partial to the town--but decided I'd rather live near good schools in a safe neighborhood without having to leverage my life, so now I live in Colorado.

Tim

--
Tim Mensch

Currently at Wild Sage (Boulder, CO): http://www.wildsagecohousing.org