Re: COHOUSING AND ZONING
From: Oliveau (Oliveauaol.com)
Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2007 11:33:00 -0800 (PST)

Hey Charles,
    Our zoning was 3 acre minimum.  But they has a  "Rural Hamlet" option
which allowed for closer spacing of the houses in return  for a large area of
common open space.  You should talk to the zoning  people and see if they have
clustering option of some sort.
    The other thing to do is go for a zoning exception,  but this involves
more legal time and money.
    A third option is to design the community with 5  acre lots, but layout
the geometry so that the houses are close together.   I've seen very extreme
examples of this where the houses are all on tiny  "pipe stems" which run along
a twisted path to large acreage far away.

Hope that helps,
-Kevin Oliveau
Catoctin Creek Village

In a message dated 11/8/2007 2:25:46 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,