Re: No Parking
From: Katie Henry (katie-henryatt.net)
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2007 00:02:54 -0800 (PST)
Allow me to present a different perspective on the subject of parking at Eastern Village.

As Jessie and Rodney mentioned, EVC has no parking. We have no land beyond the footprint of the building.

Probably about 80% of our households have cars (wild guess). Most of us use the county parking garage next door, paying $85/month for a permit. This works out very well. I personally am thrilled that the community doesn't have to maintain a parking lot and drive gates. There is convenient access to handicap parking spaces.

Some car owners park on the street. This is extremely limited and is getting tighter as development increases in our area. Street parking is either metered or requires a DC permit, which we can't get because we're MD residents, plus cars parked on the street get stolen pretty regularly. Parking roulette, we call it.

A few months before move-in (mid-2004), we got wind of a plan to give exclusive use of the garage to a major local employer. This meant that we would all either have to scramble for street parking or use the next nearest garage, a half mile away. This occurred at a point in the condo doc process when members could cancel their contracts, get all of their money back, and walk away from the project. If the county had proceeded with this plan, I have no doubt that half or more of our members would have dropped out and the project would have imploded. Our developers were terrified. They never would have started the project if they'd known there was any chance we wouldn't be allowed to use the garage. I really can't overstate what a catastrophe it would have been. Fortunately the county reconsidered, and everyone lived happily ever after.

The fact that Eastern Village has no parking of its own is irrelevant because of the excellent parking garage right next door. Without the garage, we wouldn't be here. It is critical to the success of the project and our healthy property values. In this area, you just have to have parking. I ran the outreach team for two years and the first question out of every prospect's mouth was "Where's the parking?"

Sharon, would Takoma Village exist without parking?

Katie
Eastern Village Cohousing
Silver Spring, MD