Re: RFPs and developers
From: Dirk Herr-Hoyman (hoymanddanenet.org)
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2007 18:27:19 -0800 (PST)
Hi Tom-  Arboretum Cohousing did hire a Development Consultant,
which is a limited version of a Developer.  We formed our own
development LLC, so we weren't looking for a partner to share
financial risk/reward, rather this is our main consultant (along with
an Architect).

We did have a set of things we were looking for a development
consultant to do, more or less a job description, which was provided
to the candidates.  That would approximate an RFP, but wasn't
an actual RFP.  I think your topics you have outlined below are
the types of things we covered.

What we did was to identified a number of likely candidates, and
then did a series of interviews.  We had one large interview
with the Board and then some follow up meetings with specific
individuals.  We were looking at competency and just plain fit
with our group.

We invited the candidates to submit
a proposal for their scope of services, including compensation,
after we had spent some time together.
This is more like a negotiated contract, rather than an RFP bid.
If you went this way, you would also want to have some
sort of references of prior projects, with the ability to interview
a few folks.  We did do this, both in terms of existing relationships
(some on our Board did know our candidates) and seeking out
prior projects.

It would help if you had some neutral party to look over any
proposal and help negotiate a final agreement.  Perhaps you have
this experience in your group, but it still helps to have an
outside opinion of someone to be objective.  Legal council to
work out the details of a contract can be valuable at this point too.

Hope this helps.  --Dirk