Re: RFPs and developers
From: David Heimann (heimanntheworld.com)
Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2007 17:10:34 -0800 (PST)

Hi Tom,

I've worked in my time with issuing RFPs and with software development projects, and would say that obtaining something via an RFP is similar to developing a software product by means of the "waterfall model", where the requirements are set in stone at the beginning and the software developers build in response to them. The waterfall model and RFPs are similar in that each works well in producing a generic product that is neither especially new or complex. For products that are in fact new or complex, however (and likely most cohousing projects, as constrated to traditional real estate development projects, are new and/or complex), this freezing of requirments very early in the process may not work very well. What would work better is a process that can agilely respond to changes in requirements as development goes forward. There is a process in software development that has gained significant currency in recent years called the agile software development process. A major feature is that the customer is strongly involved in the development so that the eventual product can adapt to changes in the customer's requirements as things proceed. You can do a search on "agile software development" for further information.

        All the best!

Regards,
David