Re: Automated External Defibrillator
From: Robert Heinich (robertenocommons.org)
Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2007 20:27:02 -0800 (PST)
Muriel,

2006Mar12 we had a Saint Patrick's Day Party & Fund Raiser in the Common House
where one of the off-site performers was stricken with an heart attack.
Despite the efforts of two of our members who came to his aid, a cardiac nurse
and an urgent care physician, the stroke was too massive and the performer died
before the EMC could arrive.

I was part of the ad hoc to look into buying an AED (Automated External
Defibrillator).  As you noted that it is rather expensive ($1500).  We lean
heavily on the opinion of one of our members, an urgent care physician, who
thought that the expense of the device coupled with the low likelihood of being
useful made an AED a poor choice for our limited funds.

Do I wonder if we made the right decision?  Yes but at 55 I all too aware of my
own mortality.  (I now work at a hospital and had the opportunity to ask the
opinion of the chief resident I work with.  He also thought that the
cost/benefit did not justify an AED.)

It would be nice if we had a formula so one could determine at what point one
could justify buying an AED.

I hope this helps.

-Robert Heinich
 Eno Commons
 www.enocommons.org
 Durham, NC
 who hopes that his daily 81 mg aspirin therapy really does work