Re: Seeking input on compassionate HOA calculation
From: Joelyn Malone (JKMalonecomcast.net)
Date: Sat, 8 Dec 2007 20:48:30 -0800 (PST)
Similar to Sharon's response, we decided it was better to base HOA dues on 25% same amount for everybody, 75% based on square footage rather than some other way - for one thing, it needed to be stated in our legal documents to get Fannie Mae approval, so we couldn't be varying it depending on who moved into a particular unit at any given time. But the way we've made it work for all of us in a community with very, very diverse levels of income, is to keep the items covered by the HOA dues as low as possible (basics only, what we need to do for health and safety). Then for any improvements that are optional, we take up a collection from all the people who want it and can afford to chip in. For example, our outdoor maintenance budget covers only stuff like lawnmower repair and tree removal required by the city; all our beautiful perennials and new trees, annuals, mulch, landscaping cloth, extra tools etc. come from contributions that people pledge every year. Those who afford it contribute, those who can't (or don't value it, which is about zero of us) aren't required to chip in.
Joelyn Malone
PS - this has been discussed on Cohousing_L before, probably several times - try using the search feature at Cohousing.org to search the archives for other responses.