Re: Seeking input on compassionate HOA calculation
From: R.P. Aditya (adityagrot.org)
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2007 08:21:07 -0800 (PST)
Hi Mac,

On Mon, Dec 10, 2007 at 08:35:46AM -0700, Mac Thomson wrote:
> Our HOA dues have a 50% fixed component and 50% variable based on
> number of people in a household.  The monthly range ends up being from
> about $100 (household of 1) to about $200 (household of 6) per month.
> I think this formula has generally served us well.
> For details see our Budget and Assessments agreement:
> http://www.heartwoodcohousing.com/AGREEMENTS/BUDASS.html

what was the rationale to have a charge based on the number of people in a
household?

We have a reserve fund for which monthly dues are based on square-feet of
siding/windows/etc. so differ by unit, but otherwise there doesn't seem to be
a strong correlation between number of people in a household and what it costs
the community to maintain the common house etc.. In fact, more people in a
household means more workers, and so there might even be a reason to give the
household a "credit"...

Thanks,
Adi
Great Oak Cohousing