Re: Car sharing
From: Lynn Nadeau (welcomeolympus.net)
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2008 09:37:46 -0800 (PST)
Lynn at RoseWind, Port Townsend WA
You'll have to check this with your particular insurers, but what we were told here was that
YES one person's insurance covers other people driving their car
BUT the whole deal is null and void if any money has changed hands for the use of the car SO our desire to jointly purchase a car, or pay shares of the insurance and maintenance, would have resulted in non-coverage if there were a claim and the (forensic bloodhound) claims-deniers at the corporation could find evidence that the driver was by any stretch hiring the use of the vehicle. The result was that we shared the use of the little GEM electric, but didn't pay the generous owners anything (at their request, so the insurance would be valid). Counter-intelligent. Likewise we periodically borrow a member's old pickup truck, but just for filling the gas tank.
Lynn at RoseWind Cohousing
where we shiver if it gets down into the 40s, and complain if there are two days in a row without sun; yesterday I spent some hours doing yard work without a jacket