Re: SIPs (was Re: Here's my Vision. Has anyone ever thought of )
From: Racheli Gai (rachelisonoracohousing.com)
Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2008 14:26:33 -0800 (PST)

On Jan 19, 2008, at 2:46 PM, Philip Proefrock wrote:

There are two kinds of formaldehyde glues; one (urea formaldehyde) which is used in many furniture and other interior applications, and will offgas formaldehyde for decades. The other (phenol formaldehyde) which is used
when the materials may be exposed to the weather, does not have any
offgassing because the formaldehyde is molecularly locked into the
compound.
The glues used on most OSB (oriented strand board, the material used for
the exterior faces of the panels) are the latter type, which does not
offgas.

According to my understanding, phenol formaldehyde DOES offgass, but most of the offgassing happens in the first few months, and the amount of offgasing
after that is small, especially compared to urea formaldehyde.

Racheli.