Re: Sixth Principle : No Shared Economy?
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2008 09:09:30 -0800 (PST)

On Jan 20, 2008, at 3:22 AM, Louis-H. Campagna wrote:

We've just come head on with the No Shared Economy issue (6th Principle).

No shared economy refers to other communities that share a single income source (like making greeting cards or pottery) or one in which all earnings are shared by other members. I don't think this applies to hiring within the group.

A member has motioned we hire him for project development work. This has been done without any prior request for proposals and the member is quite influencial within the group and occupies a position of trust. Legally speaking, according to our statutes of incorporation. this is a conflict of interest situation. In my opinion, the member is exercizing undue influence on the needs evaluation and hiring process.

It is always easier to hire the candidate who is right there. The fact that some are concerned about process means this is not a good idea with out further honest discussion -- probably with this member not present, certainly not as a party to the decision. If you go ahead when some have questions, they may never be resolved and cause bigger problems down the road.

Several people have posted on this recently -- some pro and some con. A major factor is personality. I would say another is problems with the project -- predictable since construction is hard. If there are problems, this person will be blamed and thus have a hard time continuing as a member of the community.

I would advise looking up the messages in the archives and contacting some of the people privately so you can discuss this with them.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines
Coauthor with John Buck of We the People
Consenting to a Deeper Democracy
A Guide to Sociocratic Principles and Methods
ISBN: 9780979282706
http://www.sociocracy.info