Re: internal hiring (was Sixth Principle)
From: Craig Ragland (craigraglandgmail.com)
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2008 16:37:59 -0800 (PST)
My understanding is that the cohousing.org website is where the "master"
version of the "6 Defining Characteristics of Cohousing" is maintained,
here:

http://cohousing.org/overview.aspx

I've been told that these have evolved over time and that they were first
published in the first edition of Katie and Chuck's book:

*Cohousing; A Contemporary Approach to Housing Ourselves*

My copies of both the first and second edition are currently borrowed by
other cohousers, so maybe somebody else can do the comparison if interested.

The story I heard (3rd hand), was that the Defining Characteristics was last
edited a few years ago when Katie was on the Coho/US board and the
Cohousing.org Website was being updated.

Some will label it as "just semantics," but I see the idea of a "defining
characteristic" and a "principle" as pretty different. These ideas have
undoubtedly been labeled in many different ways - especially as it has
spread on various websites (often without attribution).

By the way, when we publish the new version of the cohousing.org website
(hopefully next week), it will have the same text as it currently does. Will
those of us contributing to the website change it during the upcoming Beta
phase? Time will tell... and some of you will see!

--
Craig Ragland
Coho/US Exec. Dir.