Re: Floor Covering for Common House Dining Room
From: Rob Sandelin (floriferousmsn.com)
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2008 17:25:12 -0800 (PST)
Charles asked about cork floor. We installed in ourselves, it came in panels
that simply glued down to the subfloor.  You only see edges of the cork
because it is covered by 4 carpet segments, which I think are about 8 feet
square.  The cork floor was a loud reflective surface, so we choose carpet
to cover it.  The carpet gets a professional cleaning every once and awhile,
based mostly on odor, since the color hides stains and such pretty well as
far as I notice. The sound difference was very noticeable. From time to time
the carpet gets rolled up for some event, which is why we choose to do it in
segments to make it easier to roll up and move out of the way.

As for meal club, I would say in our community the physical design does not
contribute much to peoples meal club , although it is quieter with the
carpet.  People who want to hang out in a large group meal show up for most
every meal offered, people who do not like dining in a large group tend to
stay home more. There are also issues with parents who want family time with
their children.

Rob Sandelin
Sharingwood, Snohomish County, WA