Re: cork flooring
From: Mac Thomson (macheartwoodcohousing.com)
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2008 05:47:56 -0800 (PST)
We built our CH in 2000 and installed a cork floor in the dining room (did it ourselves). Our dining room is very good acoustically (i.e., not too much noise given all the noise that's generated). Some folks attribute it to the cork flooring. I personally believe that it has much more to do with all the Tectum (sound absorbing) panels we used for the ceiling and some wall space.

The cork flooring has held up pretty darn well. There are a couple places with water damage (just below the sink where kids get water and below the skylight that's been left open during a couple of rain storms), but even those places are pretty unnoticeable unless you're looking for them. It's a very pretty floor and is not too hard to maintain -- some kind of refinishing / waxing about once a year, I think. (I've never been in on that job.) I think everyone's pretty happy with our cork floor.

Cheers,
Mac

--
Mac Thomson

Heartwood Cohousing
Southwest Colorado
http://www.heartwoodcohousing.com

"Now and then it's good to pause in our pursuit of happiness and just be happy."
       - Guillaume Apollinaire