universal
From: Catya Belfer-Shevett (catyahomeport.org)
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2008 06:54:39 -0800 (PST)
"If anyone can hear you talking who is further away from you than the person you are talking to, you are talking too loud."

Or "Jimmy, Sally is right in front of you. Talk only as loudly as you need to for her to hear you."

Some parents want me to say "I think" as in "I" statements but I don't. I think there are standards of behavior that are universal and should be taught as universal standards, not just mine. (As in socialization.)

*chuckles* well, that works if everyone in the community AGREES they are universal, or better yet, community norms.

Personally, I agree with you. A friend and parent i respect very much comes at this from the point of view of choosing NOT to restrict natural speech when possible. So, obviously there is room for disagreement on this.

        - catya