Dining Room Noise
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2008 07:02:04 -0800 (PST)

On Jan 21, 2008, at 8:04 PM, Mary English wrote:

Regarding you question about dining club considerations, the noise has certainly been a factor in several individuals considerations in eating in the common house. Any fabric covered surface will deaden sound more than a hard surface. Also consider , table clothes, drapes, fabric print wall hangings, and even old carpet on the underside of tables.

We originally had a dining room with only tables and chairs. We didn't need all the space for tables and chairs so we added cast off upholstered furniture in two areas. It helped enormously.

So in addition to the items above, I would suggest designing large rooms with soft furniture areas. Some of us would like the tables even more broken up with plants and soft furniture. Now the soft furniture is to the side in two areas -- in the sun room and in front of the fireplace.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing,Washington DC