Re: Looking for advice about enhancing our Friends
From: Jonnie Pekelny (jonniepsbcglobal.net)
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2008 16:03:03 -0800 (PST)
Sharon, thanks for the response, but perhaps I was unclear. I am not  asking
about people who are currently on track to move in with us. We  have Equity
Members, who've put in big money and  Associates, who  pay an annual $250. Both
Associates and Equity Members are expected to  participate on teams, help get
us to move-in, etc, but Equity Members  have a unit reserved for them and may
block consensus. Associates are  still making the decision about whether to pay
into a unit, or are  getting their finances together. It's expected that they
will either  become Equity Members or withdraw at some point. But I am NOT
asking  about either of these groups.

  The question I am asking is about people who want to support us in some  way,
be involved with us in some way, but are not on track to move in  with us. We
and they both know this. They're not stringing us along.  Some of these people
are previous Members/Associates who've stepped out  but  have connections in
the cmmunity they want to maintain, and  some have never been Members or
Associates, but think we're cool and  cohousing is cool and would like to
promote us and hang out with  us.  We're not relying on these people to find us
a site and get  it built, and we don't want to charge them money, because they
are not  getting most of the benefits of membership. But we do want to help
them  make community with us if they want. And we want to build a more robust
structure to help that happen. How to do that is what I'm asking here.

  It makes sense to me that we would want to be clear about who we can  rely on
to get the work done, and who plans to live with us and that we  would make
sure these people can get the work done, but it makes NO  sense to me to cut
others out of the community and decide not to make  community with them. To me
that goes contrary to the whole notion of  neighorhood cohousing promotes.
Community doesn't stop outside the  meeting room's door, or the commonhouse
door. I don't see how it hurts  to have a network of people who come to social
events and keep abreast  of things in the community.

  Jonnie

  Message: 5