Re: cork flooring
From: Michael Black (mblackmblackarchitect.com)
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2008 14:35:19 -0800 (PST)
We have cork flooring in our unit at Yulupa Cohousing and love it except for
the scratches, and other markings we have accumulated in 2-1/2 years. We do
not have dogs, cats or children - except for visiting ones. In addition, our
home is a 'no shoes zone." If you choose cork flooring make sure it is a
commercial grade.

However, I agree with Laura about the ceilings, but would also add the
importance of carpeting or sisal wallcovering (which we used at Yulupa).
We also used textured acoustic ceiling tiles with square edges - glued onto
drywall. We also used angled walls and painted acoustic tiles at the upper
portion of the walls. For flooring in our multi-purpose room, we used OSB
(oriented strand board) - the material used for wall and roof sheathing
(very sustainable). We stained it and varnished it. We used this also at Two
Acre Wood. Both rooms have floated dance floors over a concrete slab. At Two
Acre Wood they bought a carpet that they occasionally roll-up for dances.

When dining, the seated people absorb a lot of the sound that would
otherwise be reflected off of the floor.

Michael Black, Community Planner/Architect
Yulupa Cohousing