Re: Building in a floodplain
From: dahako (dahakoaol.com)
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2008 16:54:49 -0800 (PST)
 Hi-

My job involves managing grants for long-term disaster recovery in the US.? I
have a lot of experience with (re)development in a floodplain.? Can't recommend
it, especially in an area with greater than a 1% chance of a flood in any given
year.?

But, if you are going to do it, design for a higher probability of flood than
is predicted and get more insurance than is recommended. Have an evacuation
plan from word go. Elevate the living areas (particularly the kitchen and
bathrooms) at least a foot above the average 1% flood level.? Ditto a
generator.? Make sure you have a hatch in the roof so you can get out on it in
a real pinch.

Get a landscape architect to look carefully at your site and the surrounding
area to make sure you will have the best drainage possible.? Often, after a
flood, the time it takes to get water out of and away from the house is the
difference between having a home and having a totaled, moldy shell.

There's a lot of stuff out there now.? I'd check FEMA's website for resources,
to start with.

-Jessie Handforth Kome
Eastern Village Cohousing
Silver Spring, Maryland
"Where we're talking about space reprogramming.? Sigh."

http://webmail.aol.com