Re: Liveable temp/ geothermal
From: dahako (dahakoaol.com)
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2008 16:39:14 -0800 (PST)
 Hi Robert and all-

First - I do not write in question marks and I do not know why cohousing-L adds
them.? This is the only list I belong to that does this. Makes me "sound" quite
quizzical.? I promise it looks different before I send it. ;>)

As is usual in cohousing, I recall the decision differently.? I think we early
Eno Commoners picked geothermal because it had no noisy outdoor A/C or heat
pump units.? Our houses were going to be very close together and so the
relative quiet of the system, not the great environmental benefits or lower
running costs or low maintenance, was the tipping factor.

I did do a lot of research and dragged a lot of material back to the group.? As
I recall, the best source was a study commissioned by U.S. EPA that looked at
the functioning of various types of HVAC units, including ground source heat
pumps, and recommended the best geographic areas for each one based on
engineering suitability and "pay back" of initial costs through lower energy
bills.? I did the research back in 1996 or 7.? Surely there must be better info
now somewhere?

By the way, Eastern Village Cohousing, where I live now, also has geothermal on
the cohousing side of the building.? It cost more on the front end, but we
recently found out what folks in the big condo building next door pay per month
for power and we feel quite smug about our low bills.

-Jessie Handforth Kome
Eastern Village Cohousing
Silver Spring, Maryland
"Where the knitting group gets a lot of community work done. . ."

responding to:

Every house in Eno Commons has geothermal heat pumps.  However, Jessie
Handforth Kome who now lives at Eastern Village Cohousing in Silver
Spring, Maryland might be a better contact.  She convinced us that
geothermal was the the way to go and we have been pleased with that
decision.

-Robert Heinich
  Eno Commons Cohousing Neighborhood
  www.enocommons.org