Re: Shared Walls or Single Family Houses?
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2008 05:47:25 -0800 (PST)
I agree with everything Joani said about shared walls and the shared wall community. I can't imagine living in a free standing house again. I remember living in New York City in a house in the Bronx when a workman came with his 15 year old son who had never been in a house (literally). He seemed uncomfortable and was peering around, not at the house but cautiously out the windows. Finally he said, "Don't you get lonely here?" When I said no (having never lived in an apartment where I knew my neighbors), he said, "Oh, this is where you get your solitude."

While I sometimes wish for solitude, I'm sure I would now feel lonely in a house.

However, I would like to hear from the construction wise among us who know how to create shared walls, floors, and ceilings so sound does not penetrate. We have "better than average" sound protection but some residents still have difficulties with the people upstairs wearing shoes (like work boots and high heels), dropping things often in the kitchen, running children, etc. I live in fear since the couple upstairs who work all day and often go on vacations and away for the weekend sell to someone with two teenagers or a big dog or is home all day.

The noise seems to be mostly from above, but the other directions can be problematic too. Some people don't care and find it cozy but others don't.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing,Washington DC