Re: Shared Walls or Single Family Houses?
From: VAN DEIST (vandeistmsn.com)
Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2008 05:20:18 -0800 (PST)
Joani Blank of Swan's Market Cohousing made a strong argument to Tom Shea for
shared walls, and it seems as though all her points are valid.  The thing is
that her viewpoint might have an urban bias, and her values are not priority
with some people.  Here in Florida, our group considering elder cohousing has a
priority of downsized, detached cottages.  Although some members did not
express a preference and were willing to go either way, the majority wanted
detached cottages.  Granted, our group is primarily made up of people in their
70's with a bell curve representation of those members in their 60's and 80's
and only one single representative of the 50's age group..  These older members
remember a quieter time in small towns during the pre-WW II era, and have a
nostalgic vision of what their new community should look like.  They are mostly
from traditional neighborhoods of detached houses or from gated communities of
detached houses, and only a few have had a condo experience.  We are
considering the use of cracker style homes similar to those designed by the
Katrina Cottage Group (
www.katrinacottagegroup.com<http://www.katrinacottagegroup.com/> ).  Sometimes
decisions boil down to values rather than economy or efficiency.  I've visited
cohousing neighborhoods with attached homes, and they were certainly attractive
and vibrant.  Nonetheless, they remind me of the row houses and town houses of
the Northeast from which I escaped in favor of my own house with a little
breathing room.  My preference, my values, but it's shared with many other
folk.  To each his/her own, and either way, it's the community more than the
architecture that makes cohousing so attractive to so many people.

Van Deist
Suncoast Cohousing
Venice, Florida